Book review: The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic

14.3.10

As mentioned in my post about books (here) I started reading this book recently and a couple of days later I have finished it. I have seen the movie so I knew the general idea of the books but I know how popular the book series is and I fancied working my way through them all.

I used to be exactly like Rebecca Bloomwood; I would buy everything I wanted even if I didn't need it. A lunch time shopping trip would involve going to Harvey Nichols and picking something new; a handbag, a scarf, sunglasses.. but then things got out of control and I learnt the hard way that the best way to be is to live within your means. If you can't afford something then you can't have it, simple! :) Because of this, about half way through the book I have to admit I got a little tired of Becky's constant, never ending spending and I found her character quite annoying.

That aside I enjoyed the book on the whole; it was easy to read and very funny. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series now that I'm not so annoyed by the main character :)

I was really happy with the ending of the book and the final letter from Derek Smeath really made me chuckle.

11 comments:

  1. im taking these to egypt with me this summer...my friend reckons i'll love them lol, i too used to be like her lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally never read these types of books but i think after your review this may be a good one for a shopaholic like me to read! lol.. great post! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read all of the books in the collection and while theyre good, I find them very easy to read. It's a pitty the film is nowhere near as good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the film recently having read all the books years ago, much preferred them to the film!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these books! Sophie Kinsella's other ones are also fab - Can You keep a Secret and the Remember Me are especially fab!!
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read the entire series and I do kinda know what you mean. I didn't find it annoying until maybe the third and then the & Sister and & Baby ones really irritated me. It won't put me off buying any others that she brings out but I know what you mean. Also, I have never seen the film because I just think it seemed so different from the books and I *hate* that - why do they do that!

    Sophie Kinsella's other books are worth a read as well (the none shopaholic ones I mean) if you haven't already.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favourite books, I've read the second and third ones too. Can't wait to read the rest :) xx

    http://thatspeachy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shopaholic series of books, the movie's good but the books are so much better. Have you read the other Sophie Kinsella novels?

    I'm turning into a bit of shopaholic recently, need to control my shopping habits before I turn into Becky Bloomwood! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the books that i have read by Sophie Kinsella..

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Girl with the Golden Touch - oh the book is totally different and now I've read the book I'm thinking the film is a bit pooh :s x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't remember if I finished this or not, but I agree completely that the character became really annoying and actually quite frustrating. I think this might have resulted in me putting the book down and never picking it back up.

    x

    ReplyDelete