A trip to the hairdressers, Shu Uemura oil, "Off With Her Red" & "Mad As A Hatter" by O.P.I

3.4.10

I had a trim and general hair tidy last Saturday at a new hairdressers because I had randomly called in there to get my full fringe cut - a total impulse decision! - and I thought the same girl would do a good job of my cut. First of all, I have learnt my lesson the hard way that prices have shot up considerably since I last had my hair cut. I nearly had a heart attack at the till especially because I had picked up a bottle of Shu Uemura Nourishing Oil en route because I had been impressed with the results when the hairdresser used it.

I can't bear to tell you how much the oil cost; I will say that I hope it lasts me a very long time. It does deliver good results though. It can be used on dry hair as a pre-shampoo treatment or used on damp hair as a serum. I have been using it as a serum and it makes my hair silky without being greasy. I can even use a little on my dry hair to get some extra moisture. Also the oil reduces the need for straighteners whereas normally I would run them quickly over my hair. (Please note that my hair is naturally very straight, if a little poofy sometimes, so results will be different for everyone).


Will I repurchase? Perhaps. I may try to find a cheaper alternative though. I would normally never buy an oil for my hair. I would automatically assume that it would be too heavy for my hair and leave a greasy residue. Perhaps if you struggle to get a smooth blow-dry then this product or something similar would work really well - especially if, like me, you have tried a gazillion other products that have all failed to give good results.

My plan is to grow my hair as long and luscious as the lovely Zooey D. I'm a little way off at the moment but my hair grows really quickly.


I officially love my O.P.I Alice in Wonderland polishes and I'm currently sporting Absolutely Alice on my toenails but I won't share them with you - you're not ready for that sight just yet, trust me!

Off With Her Red is a beautiful red colour which was a pleasure to apply and only needed a couple of coats. However, Mad As A Hatter is my favourite without a doubt. Normally I don't like sparkly nails and I would normally always choose a red or a pink (creature of habit!) but I'm converted to glitter from now on! 2 coats gave me good coverage and I'm in love with the colour.


I have since applied another layer and it looks even more sparkly and special. I love Mad As A Hatter! It was hard to capture the colour as the flash does dim it slightly. If you haven't seen this polish in the flesh yet have a google!


Are you ever shocked at the price of your hairdressers appointment?

What is your favourite Alice in Wonderland O.P.I shade?

20 comments:

  1. OMG, those Alice in Wonderland polishes are so dinky and cute! I'm hoping my sister can get my Mad as a Hatter in NY this week, I'm loving it on your nails :)

    I love Zooey D too!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am ALWAYS shocked by the price of my hair appointments. My last one was £110 for a full head of highlights and a trim. This is why I never have a full head and walk round with skanky roots all the time. The oil sounds amazing though, I may try and find a cheaper alternative too as love the sound of it. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dread to think how much haircuts are now - I've only been having trims for the last 3 years and my brothers girlfriend did them for me (she is a hairdresser but mates rates and all that) but they split up last week, so now I'm gonna have to a) find my brother a new hairdresser GF, or b) pay the proper prices :( My brother is so selfish ;) lol I joke xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh those nail varnishes look great! Love a bit of sparkle.

    Hairdressers can be total rip offs at times, and I'm saying that as a hairdresser (mobile) I colour my own hair myself and get a hair friend to cut it. The whole style director, style technician thing and levels of price amaze me.

    Happy Easter. X x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Mad As A Hatter too! Sparkly nails = FUN!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hairdressers have got overly pricey these days - so i've taken to just getting a dry trim for £8 and then dying it myself using Boots hair colour for £3.22 odd. It works a treat myself, bit more hassle but saves on the pennies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm shocked at what people will pay for a haircut. I'd bet the hairdresser doesn't get half of what your paying. I always get my hairdresser to come to my house, its so much cheaper and her cuts are just as good as a salon cut :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those nail colours are great! :)

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funnily enough we talked about the prices of salons at work the other day. if I have a senior stylist, a cut and blowdry for me is £30. However if I have a trainee its £25. I love two of the stylists at our salon, Danielle and Sarah, so when I call I just ask for either. I refuse to get any colour done there though, it'd cost me like £90 altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need mad as a hatter!

    I have blogged about your blog as one of my favourites here:

    http://bamboozlebeautyblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/poll-results.html

    check it out :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. if you used both of those polishes together I imagine they would be very similar to Barry M red glitter nail polish :) They look very pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like red polishes :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've passed on a blog award to you :)

    http://jadefungblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-first-ever-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. its impossible to find mad as a hatter polish here in the states !

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love that red polish. hairdresser's prices sound v shocking to me as i cut my own hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutley!!! I always cringe at the end when the hairdresser totals it all up... my last appointment was a shocker because I bought shampoo, conditioner AND a treatment! Yikes!!!! Love those colours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. God, I hate the cost of haircuts! So ridiculously awful. I've had a fair few shocks at the till, too!

    Love the sparkly nails. Glitter is not a look I favour but I may be tempted by this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i only ever get a dry cut because i am so stingy and the hairdressers never do it the way i like it. luckily i don't dye my hair so i don't have to pay for that. i'm on a mission to grow my hair too! it's finally getting there (zooey is also a hairspiration)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope the hair cut was good. the worst is when I get a mediocre haircut that is charged way too much =(

    ReplyDelete