Salmon & amazing veggies.

30.1.11

Last weekend we had some amazing salmon and veggies and I had to share them with you. I'm eating loads of vegetables lately and trying to incorporate them into most meals so I apologise in advance if you don't like them, but I love 'em! Also salmon is one of my faves and I don't have it very often so this was a real treat.

We picked up two lovely big bits of salmon from Morrisons - they were super easy to cook. We put some oil and rock salt on the skin and put them under the grill, and once they were almost done they went into the oven.



Meanwhile we started on the 'spicy cauliflower' courtesy of a recipe from the Gary Rhodes cookbook, and a spinach and mushroom combo which was part of a Cod recipe we had a few weeks ago. We thought it would go nicely with this tea too.

In a pan with a little bit of butter you cook the mushrooms, diced into small pieces, then add the spinach and cook until it starts to wilt. And that's it! Simples.

I'm saving the best bit till last - the spicy cauliflower. This is without a doubt one of the nicest things I've ever eaten in my life. The spice in the cauliflower contrasted with the yoghurt with a hint of lime and coriander was so tasty. I could easily munch through a whole plate of this on its own. The recipe is at the end if you'd like to give it a whirl!


The recipe to serve 4 is:

1 small cauliflower, divided into florets
Oil, for cooking
1 large onion, sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon of medium curry powder
A knob of butter
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon of chopped coriander
150ml of natural yoghurt
A generous squeeze of lime

Plunge the cauliflower into a pan of boiling salted water and cook for a few minutes until tender before draining.
Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and curry powder and fry for 5-6 minutes over a medium heat. Add the knob of butter and cauliflower and continue to fry for a further 5 minutes, stirring to coat the florets with the curry flavour. Season with a pinch of salt and sprinkle with the coriander.
While the cauliflower is cooking, mix together the yoghurt with the lime juice and season with the salt and pepper. Drizzle the yoghurt over the cauliflower just before serving or offer seperately.

13 comments:

  1. Looks delish - salmon is fab! Have you tried it topped with Philidelphia? :D

    Stacey

    http://nude-obsession.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try that cauliflower recipe, it sounds fantastic. I also love veggies and salmon and have been on a healthy-eating mission recently. Loving your recipe posts at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spicy cauliflower in particular sounds lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm that looks gorgeous! I love salmon - my boyfriend made it for me once with mashed butter beans and a pesto sauce, it was so nice - would def reccomend! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy, very healthy too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving all of the cookery posts at the minute ... I wish you did smart car delivery services xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh I LOVE salmon. It's nice with a bit of mayo on top and then fresh lime squeezed over it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm definitely going to try that spicy cauliflower, mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks SO good, I love salmon, and cauli.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks amazing!! Salmon is one of my favourites. In honour of Burns night the other night, my friends and I had starters of oatcakes, Philadelphia and smoked salmon.

    http://teacupsandbuttondrops.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really like fish but my mum made salmon recently and it was delish! She marinated it in soy sauce and ginger then steam cooked it and served with chopped dill on the top and veggies. So yummy xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually tried both the spicy cauliflower and the mushroom & spinach recipes this evening! They were yummy but I don't think I made the cauliflower spicy enough - next time I'll add more curry powder/ garlic. I also made my first Green Monster this evening, with blueberries... it tasted nice but its appearance made me feel a bit queasy to start with (I'm a wimp). :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a massive fan of salmon but this really makes me want to try it out! That spicy califlower looks great though, will definately be giving it a go! xo

    ReplyDelete