Knitting lessons.

4.3.11

I had a beginners knitting lesson a couple of Monday's ago and a few of you have asked me about it so I  wanted to mention it in more detail. It was a 4 hour lesson for "absolute beginners" and at the end of it you could take away 1 set of needles and 2 balls of wool in a lovely cloth bag. I arrived feeling rather nervous but I soon felt more comfortable after a cup of tea and meeting the other people on the course.


There were 5 of us altogether and we were soon on our way; we learnt how to cast on, how to do a knit stitch and a purl stitch. I was surprised to see that 3 of the other students had all knitted before and were much quicker than me and another girl of a similar age to me. I had expected everyone to be complete beginners so it was a bit of a surprise and panicked me a little bit. 

My fellow beginner and I were quite far behind on the first task which was to knit 10 rows. We changed colours and knitted another 10 rows to produce a square coaster (I managed to add extra rows by accident - not sure how! oops) and then we casted off and voila! Our first piece was created.

This is where it went downhill a little bit for me. I felt like we needed more practice at casting on and the basics because by the time I had finished my coaster I had forgotten how to cast on and I had to ask again at the end of the class.

We moved on to increasing and decreasing stitches to create some bunting and I found it so difficult. I was a little bit slower than everyone else on the first task and the teacher moved on to the next stage leaving me behind and needing to catch up. I felt like I was back at school! Eventually I made it out alive with my bunting and my coaster, and still feeling like a complete beginner. Jonathan now proudly displays the coaster on his desk at work and the bunting will never see the light of day again.


Overall it was a good experience but I would have changed the following:-

- the teacher should have worked to absolute beginner level instead of keeping to the pace of the more experienced knitters because the course is advertised for "absolute beginners".
- there should have been more time spent practising the basics and then finishing off with a few fancier moves.

I have really caught the knitting bug after a bit of help from my Mum and a really good knitting book, and I'll keep practising. Practice makes perfect!

12 comments:

  1. Ah this sounds like fun! My housemate knits and she's always creating nice things. It seems so therapeutic. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learnt knitting for a bit, and found it so difficult! Rows, holes and stitches just magicly appear- just stick at it and you'll soon enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started learning to knit! My Mum's teaching me :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great introduction to knitting! Although I've been knitting on and off since I was 5 and it's definitely a skill that takes a lot of time to master (I still haven't really progressed beyond the basic stiches and am so slow). Practice definitely does make perfect though so keep at it and just think of all the amazing things you could create! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for your blog comment :) your puggers lily and lola are just adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. THat is awesome. I can do basic knits, but I would love to take a class to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hattteee it when they say things like "absolute beginners" and then quite obviously dont keep to it! I start a patchwork course on Monday which says the same thing! EEK! Im glad it's given you the bug tho, youll have to show us any creations!

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a knitting shop in Liverpool that does classes and I really want to go to one to help me with my crochet. It looks like a fun evening though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i haven't done any knitting in a while, although i did used to be able to do some..i really need to take it up again, it was a new yr resolution which hasn't happened just yet..
    sad to heer that it wasn't as beginner-friendly as you'd thought, i found that to be the case with a sewing evening class i went to, mosr of the people weere not at all beginners..
    i'm tyring to drum up the courage to join a knitting group!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i just started knitting a jumper this weekend, it was cold weather and i had a bunch of wool lying around so i thought i'd give it a go. anyways i've done about half of the back but i've decided its too small so i'm going to pull it undone and start again:)
    have fun with your knitting and keep it up, its hard work but you will get the hang of it and there are so many cute jumpers, scarfs, hats etc that can be knitted. i'll send u a photo of my jumper when i'm done knitting it:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to have a youtube video on my bookmark list that I watched every time I wanted to knit something that helps me cast on and start the first few stitches until I get the hang of it again. I'm incredibly slow, but I enjoy it and I completely recommend watching a few youtube vids to help cement in your mind what your teacher wizzes through :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok so you might have noticed I'm sitting here going back through your blog which I have just re-discovered. I just wanted to say, it is such a beautiful blog to read and look at all the pretty pictures.

    P.s. I want to KNIT

    JB

    ReplyDelete