Lemon meringue cupcakes.

26.3.11

Lemon meringue pie is one of my favourite desserts and last weekend I decided to spend an afternoon making lemon meringue cupcakes. I didn't use a specific recipe although I'm sure if you Google it you would find hundreds. Just incase they didn't turn out as planned I made half into lemon cupcakes (always good to have a backup plan!)

I used the Hummingbird book to make a plain bun ready for the amazing toppings I would be adding on top. Once they had cooled down I took half of the buns and scooped out a hole in the centre, and carefully filled each hole with lemon curd.


Then I made a batch of plain frosting and added a couple of tablespoons of lemon zest. I covered each bun with the lemon frosting and happily licked the spoon afterwards - yum!


Here's where I cheated a little bit (I promise I'll make my own meringue next time!) - I popped a meringue whirl on the top of each cupcake with lemon curd inside. Voila - take a bite and it's the next best thing to eating lemon meringue pie! And they look quite pretty too.


A sprinkle of lemon zest finished off the plain lemon cupcakes - and I can honestly say, both kinds are absolutely yummy. You need a trip to the dentist after eating one though! They are super sweet but really tasty.

20 comments:

  1. Oooh great idea, I'll be making some tomorrow!!

    T x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goooosh, those look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look so good! i love lemon curd <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look amazing!! I've got the Hummingbird book and have never made anything from it, think I need to now though x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look amazing! definitely trying these
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything lemon is a win for me, might have to try these xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look delicious! I'm on a diet, I shouldn't even look at these yummy things :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look amazing! Will have to try these some time! :)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. ADDING TO BAKING LIST RIGHT NOW.

    Argh so delicious sounding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, these look tasty! Im going to be trying these out very soon! xx

    http://hazzaapee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look so yummy. They look like they turned out well... amazing.
    So tempted to bake now.
    It maybe be Baking Sunday.
    Katie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love anything lemon-y and lemon meringue pie is actually my second fav dessert (1st is tiramisu lol). I will try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh yum. I like the sound of the crunchy meringue on top! (I hate that soft italian meringue that usually comes on the top of lemon meringue pies)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm I love lemony things, looks and sounds delish! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look so delish! I love lemony, zesty cakes so I've gotta try this. Reminds me of cheesecake but in cupcake form. Oh, now I really fancy a good cuppa tea too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YUUUUMMMM! anything with lemon in it is a winner in my eyes (or belly) these look amazing!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I read them all and try to respond to questions as soon as possible, either via Twitter or by responding in the comments box.