Race for Life 2011.

3.7.11

As you will know, and if you saw my tweets this morning, I took part in the Sheffield Race for Life this morning and it was brilliant. I signed up a couple of months ago and got cracking with my jogging training  straight away but it soon fizzled out to the bare minimum as I favoured my other workouts such as my Zumba and Jillian dvds. Jogging isn't my favourite form of exercise by any means. I get bored easily (short attention span) and end up heading home at the first opportunity!

I set myself a target of completing the 5k in 35 minutes, or perhaps a little bit longer as the sun was well and truly el-scorchio at 9.30am this morning. 

 Morning face.

The first 1k was slow and steady - it was difficult to get past walkers and people with pushchairs, etc. But then I got into my stride and didn't take a break until I approached the 3k mark where I took a very short break just to get my puff back on a hill. Then I sprinted off realising that I would beat my target if I got a wiggle on. I reached the 4k mark and the WORST stitch of my life set in and it felt like I would surely be sick. But it felt better to keep running as opposed to walking (even though the finish was up a hill!) and I managed to keep going, thanks to the crowds cheering us on and the finish line in sight - plus knowing Jonathan was there waiting for me :)

I finished in 32 minutes 55 seconds which I'm so pleased with. Just think, without the stitch and the steady start I could have been even quicker! I really surprised myself and it's clear to see my fitness levels have increased massively since this time last year.


I can't recommend taking part in a Race for Life event enough. Such great atmosphere and what a great way to raise money for Cancer Research and get fit. I took part on my own this year and although I felt a little panicky in the overwhelming crowds at first, as soon as I got going I was fine and thoroughly enjoyed it.

25 comments:

  1. Well done you! I'm doing the race for life next Saturday! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done! i'm doing it in Birmingham on the 17th of july. your teeth are so perfect as is the rest of you :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw congrats, that's a great time! I've been meaning to do Race For Life for years...maybe I need to stop thinking about it and just go for it!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rachel - Yes go for it! And you live in Sheffield? We can do it together next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jen - Aww you're too kind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Becky - Good luck!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. well done- i did mine this morning too, im going to post soon, its a fab cause and an amazing atmosphere xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on your time! they should of made the end downhill lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow well done Victoria - that's a fantastic time. I really need to start jogging properly again - you've inspired me :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done. It's for a very good cause.

    I did it many years ago with both my daughters, my prouded moment was watching my youngest, then 10 cross the line. She was shattered and fed up!

    Just think how quick you can do it next time.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow well done! Thats such a good time! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, that's a great time and it's for such a good cause :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done thats an amazing time, I was volunteering at my local race for life today, such an amazing atmosphere! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done! I find jogging really boring too but the odd time I have gone I've always felt great afterwards, I should really dig out my trainers & get back into it!

    Lois xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well Done you!!
    You have definately inspired me to take part in one now, you did it in an amazing time and did it on your own too :-)
    x x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, congrats! You did amazing! And what a great event to be part of!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done that's amazing! I am doing the Southampton race on Sunday and would love to do under an hour ha ha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done that's brilliant. I really need to get signed up for one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW...congrats lady! You did amazing. I'm guessing in the future you'll be doing a lot more of these right?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh well done Victoria - that is absolutely fantastic! Very proud of you! It must feel amazing! XX

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done, you should feel very proud of yourself!

    Nat x

    ReplyDelete