Christmas party 2011.

29.12.11

For this year's Christmas party (as the dresses in my cupboard are all too big for me now) I had the task of finding a new dress to wear. After several weeks of trawling the shops and ASOS I became fed up of the sight of dresses, but then finally I found the perfect thing in River Island - a little black scoop back dress with flecks of glitter. Perfect for the party season.

I teamed the dress with black tights, gold and black heels, and a little black bag which was also from River Island but from the kids section. It matched the dress and was only £14!


For the first time in my whole existence I was quite pleased with how my hair and makeup turned out, so I thought I would share a few photos and tell you a bit about the products I used. 

Backcomb in a Bottle

I saw the kerfuffle about this product when it first came out but I didn't jump on the bandwagon, and by the sounds of it this stuff was quite hard to come across anyway. I picked up a little bottle in Boots recently to try it out and my first impressions were "hmm, it isn't making any difference". I think I expected it to be quite heavy and sticky, but actually I couldn't feel it on my hair at all.

I thought it had been a bit of a waste of money but on the night of the Christmas party I did the following: blow dried my hair upside down, used my straighteners to create slight waves in places, tied my hair up whilst I did my make up, then let it down and used Backcomb in a Bottle on the roots (then I ruffled up those areas to create a bit of lift). The result = just the right amount of volume and no more flat, boring hair! Roll on New Years Eve so I can use this again.


Barry M Eye Crayon in brown

I don't get on very well with eyeshadow so I picked up a Barry M chunky eye crayon in brown and used this to line my eyes and add a slight flick at the edges. I was impressed with the colour transfer and the staying power, and would definitely recommend.

Estee Lauder Double Wear

I swear by this makeup for covering up the scars on my face and generally making my skin look much better than it really is. I used Double Wear liquid foundation (colour: Fresco), Double Wear concealer and used a light dusting of Double Wear powder foundation (colour: Fresco) over the top to stop any shine. I also applied plenty of Hoola Bronzer over the top to avoid the dreaded "ghost face". 

Perfume

My favourite 'night out' perfume - Flowerbomb by Victor & Rolf

St Tropez 'Everyday' Gradual Tan

I can't stand streaky, orange tans so this is the perfect product for me. I used it a few nights in a row leading up to the party and it gave me a subtle glow (and helped to dust away some of those pasty Winter-skin cobwebs!)

How did you prepare for your Christmas party?

26 comments:

  1. You are just looking F-I-T at the moment <3 i need to get me some doublewear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww you look so lovely Victoria-love the dress on you! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really love your dress! Gorgeous make up too!

    http://zozeze.blogspot.com/xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Victoria, you look amazing! Love the dress, and you were right to be pleased with your hair and make up! Beautiful!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking lovely, the dress is stunning.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look fab! Hope you had a great night :)

    Sarah x

    www.smallestsarah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look really great in these pics - good find in the little bag, I've never thought to check kids sections before!xx

    lauramarycoyne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is gorgeous, and I love love love your hair! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look gorgeous! Love the dress, think that may be the one my best friend wore to her christmas party xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look gorgeous Victoria :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got a Flowerbomb set for Christmas! The very first time I used it, a my guy friend leaned into my neck and said, "that's nice; what are you wearing." Not like he'd know anyway, but needless to say, we're...no longer friends :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. you look so good :) and i love your cute christmas pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is stunning :) You look just gorgeous, the dress & your hair are amazingggg x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I might try that foundation if it covers up scars. Your dress looks fab.x

    ReplyDelete
  15. that dress is gorgeous; you look amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look absolutely stunning! You should be so proud of your weight loss, such an inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look amazing! I'm not surprised that you are happy with how your hair and make up look here - they look gorgeous. I'm in love with your dress! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look gorgeous hun :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely want to try the double wear range, especially if it covers up scars! I love your dress, it looks lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww you look gorgeous :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. you're right about the EL doublewear ghost face! However you look beautiful indeed! I posted here about my christmas party outfit/makeup. I hope you have a brilliant NYE and a fantastic 2012 especially with your shop, all the bits are just lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. MAZING DRESS!!!

    WASHMACH
    www.washmach.com

    ReplyDelete