Back in the swing.

11.1.12

If you've read my blog for a while you will know that I talk about a variety of different things, and one thing I used to talk about quite regularly was fitness/healthy eating. I'm still into those things but I guess a lack of time for blogging means some topics have fallen by the wayside. New Years Resolution = make more time for blogging!

In February of 2011 I did this blog post about my weight loss journey. It amazes me that since that blog post I've gone on to lose a further 5 - 6 lbs without doing anything special or different to my normal routine. A combination of regular exercise, eating a balanced diet (e.g. aiming for 5 portions of fruit/veg a day, not denying myself any treats, plenty of fish/protein, etc) and being happy has meant that the weight has just... well, dropped off I suppose.


I'm happy at my current weight and continue to work to maintain it, but after a Christmas of eating everything in sight I am getting back into the swing of things. You will be seeing a lot more of these types of posts on Lily loves Lola this year. I have had a few emails and tweets from people saying that I have inspired them to lose weight/get fit from reading my blog and that is fantastic. So I endeavour to continue.

I have been using a few different sources to keep focused and they may be of use to you:

BeckyBlog - a great blog and one that introduced me to working out via You Tube, so thank you! I wish I could run as well as Becky can but she certainly inspires me to keep signing up for Race for Life and do my best running a 5k.

Celery and Cupcakes - I really like Jemma's blog. She makes healthy food seem so colourful and exciting which makes me crave those kinds of food. If you like smoothies then Jemma always has one on the go and shares the recipe! After a catch up on Celery and Cupcakes this afternoon I have been craving a Green Monster like mad!

Blogilates on You Tube - I love Cassey. Talk about enthusiastic and a cracking body! Some of the workouts are rather difficult for me as I'm completely inflexible but I still have a good go anyway. There are videos for beginners and some that explain the correct posture/breathing techniques so if you were thinking of doing a pilates class this could be a good starting point for you. I warn you though, you will be sore the day after your first try!

Race for Life - If you want an excuse to get fit/get out of the house/lose some weight/raise money for charity then sign up for a Race for Life event and use it as a goal to aim towards. I ran my first Race for Life rather slow and red faced but that made me want to do better the following year, and that I did! About 10 minutes faster to be precise even in scorching heat and with a crippling stitch at the end! Go me :) The 2012 dates and locations haven't been released yet but keep your eyes peeled, I believe they're coming soon.
Me - post Race for Life 2011

Jillian Michaels - Sorry but I had to sneak Jillian in here. I love her, her DVDs are awesome, her workouts give me quick results and her one liners are brilliant!

And if all of the above fails to get you going then here is my personal favourite motivational picture!

19 comments:

  1. well done, good luck maintaining!

    dp
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also inspired me but i needed a little help from weight watchers that green monster is tempting me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for introducing me to Blogilates, the workouts on there are great, I'll definitely give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered one of jilians DVDs you really have inspired me from looking at ur post on how you looked before, not that you were ever fat but I feel I'm that size now and really need to do something! So thank you and I'm defo gonna look at those other blogs so a big thank you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My personal motivation was 5k Adidas Challenge in Hyde Park! Got my PB out of it! YEY for us both! X

    mademoiselle-lala.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the mention and such kind words. It really means a lot. Congratulations on all you have achieved and long may it continue! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!great post!I did Pilates once and genuinely ached more than ever before and for longer than with any other form of exercise!!!I too have been getting into youtube for exercise,saves buying videos then not liking them or them not being difficult enuf!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!great post!I did Pilates once and genuinely ached more than ever before and for longer than with any other form of exercise!!!I too have been getting into youtube for exercise,saves buying videos then not liking them or them not being difficult enuf!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny you mentioned Jillian Michaels in today's post - today I bought her 'Ripped in 30' DVD and oh mamma did it hurt! I think im going to be sore tomorrow, but it shall be worth it.

    Shamefully I only made it halfway through her 'week 1' out of 4, so have a lot to do. Would be great if you could let us in on any hints/tips you have for keeping your motivation up, that's where I struggle.

    Thanks for a great post, Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny you mentioned Jillian Michaels in today's post - today I bought her 'Ripped in 30' DVD and oh mamma did it hurt! I think im going to be sore tomorrow, but it shall be worth it.

    Shamefully I only made it halfway through her 'week 1' out of 4, so have a lot to do. Would be great if you could let us in on any hints/tips you have for keeping your motivation up, that's where I struggle.

    Thanks for a great post, Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should mention Ripped in 30 because that's the workout I've been doing this week.

      Before Christmas I did a week of level one then a few days of level two, and the first time I did level two I cried ACTUAL tears.

      But the one thing I will say is that it does get easier really quickly.

      Hope that helps! xx

      Delete
  11. Thank you very much for my lovely bracelet that I received the other day in the post :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inspirational to hear someone who lost weight in a natural, healthy way and didn't resort to fad diets or cutting out all treats :)
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great that you still are on track and leading a healthy fit life! I've been a massive yo yo dieter for years but am determined to lose the weight once and for all this year (started a diet blog if you are interested dietingbeth.blogspot.com :)).

    I have followed your blog for a while and also feel inspired that you did so well. I bloody love Jillian Michaels too - I find her so motivating and love her workouts.

    Looking forward to more fitness related posts! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Blogilates. Cassey is so sweet but the workouts are tough and great for when I don't have time to go to a gym class. Good luck with your fitness goals for this year :) x

    ReplyDelete
  15. good luck maintaining and reaching your goals.
    it is all about being healthy.. not necessarily stick thin.
    looks like youve got some great aids. :)
    Caroline.x

    www.starsandthebutterflies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post :) great news on the extra couple of pounds without thinking about it. Last year I massively over-stressed about losing weight so this year I'm just taking it at my pace and seeing how things go. I've also set myself fitness challenges rather than weightloss aims, so am running the Sport Relief mile (well, 3 of them) and walking the MoonWalk in May (26.2 miles round London overnight!). Grief!!

    Lauren xx
    http://http://minormusingsldn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done. You will be keeping me motivated.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that your blog features a variety of different topics, it's what inspired me to branch out with my blogging. I'm so glad you'll be posting a little more on keeping healthy, as I've always been a big fan of this sort of topic. This year I'm totally cracking down on my health... I've always run/gym-ed, but since Uni I'm eating so much better, and it's working! Keep motivating me :).

    e x

    ReplyDelete