Becoming a book worm (again).

22.3.12

Sometimes I can be a little bit 'all or nothing' and this is definitely the case when it comes to reading. Until a few weeks ago it had been ages since I'd picked up a book in contrast to my younger days when I collected them and would spend a large chunk of my wages on new purchases from Amazon and Ebay. I had shelves full of books and I was very proud of my collection.

Then slowly time got more precious and I rarely had time to read a magazine, let alone a whole book (although saying that, it is quite difficult to read a magazine with Lily and Lola around. They like to clamber over me if I sit still for more than a few seconds).

A few weeks ago somebody lent me the Chris Evans autobiography which I had been wanting to read for a while. Jonathan and I listen to him on Radio 2 every morning on the way to work and I knew his book would be a good, juicy read if past tabloids were anything to go by. Well, I was hooked and finished it within just a few days. After hearing his side of the story I was dying to hear what Billie Piper had to say so I bought her book and literally couldn't put it down.

Now I know the above aren't the most intellectual reads but they were just the ticket to ease me back into reading and I would definitely recommend both of them.


I have bought quite a few books, old and new, recently. I got a couple of new ones from WH Smith as I've been intrigued by When God Was A Rabbit for a while having seen the cover, and fellow bloggers reading it, numerous times. As I could get something else half price I saw the word chocolate and a girly cover and I was all set.

I visited a couple of local charity shops last week and I was like a kid in a sweet shop when I saw the boxes of books outside. There are obviously some chick lit fans in our area, and I perused their cast offs. I love Chris (Chrissie) Manby books so I was pleased to spot one of hers in the mixture and a couple of the other authors are familiar to me already.


Since I dabbled in the world of Chris and Billie I've read 3 more books and I'm officially a book worm again. Only problem now is I may have to buy another bookshelf....

25 comments:

  1. I see you have I Heart Paris by Lindsey Kelk! Have you read the others? If not I seriously recommend them, I absolutely love the series. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the Catherine Alliott and Jill Mansell books! Can definitely recommend Twelve Days of Christmas by Trisha Ashley... Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be a complete book worm too, but with college time is really scarce, so as one my new years resolutions I'm making sure I read a book a month. My latest was 'The diving bell and the butterfly'.
    Beth
    xox

    http://dreamsinapoppyfield.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/i-am-alive-i-can-think.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'When God Was A Rabbit' is so good! Warning you may shed a few tears, I certainly did! Hope you enjoy it :)

    Love
    Dannii x

    madamesquirrel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'When God Was A Rabbit' is so good! Warning you may shed a few tears, I certainly did! Hope you enjoy it :)

    Love
    Dannii x

    madamesquirrel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love theI heart series, I can't wait for I heart London :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love theI heart series, I can't wait for I heart London :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've just finished A Crowded Marriage this week! Loved it. I have read both of Chris' books and Billie's and agree they are brill! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVED 'When God Was A Rabbit', it's now up there with my favourites :) Also, Lindsey Kelk books are so good, chick-lit at it's best! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been so much into chick lit lately (ha ha) and loving Emily Giffin and the shopahloic series...but always passing over Jane Green. Should I give her a go? WHat are your thoughts on her books?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read the new Sophie Kinsella in one night! Not the most literary choice but it's a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charity shops are amazing for books! I picked myself up a few bargains the other day :) Jane green books are good and I love 'I heart paris/new york etc' by lindsey kelk, girly and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the first half of when God Was a Rabbit, but I found the second half really disappointing.

    Hope you enjoy

    faithlessmusing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use to read so so much, always on the way to and from work. Then last October I just suddenly stopped. But I started getting bored with being home alone during the work day last month so I joined the library and grabbed a couple of books. Totally got right back into it.

    The Jane Green book sounds really familiar, i'm sure i've read it. Looks like you grabbed some great books from the charity shop though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its been about 7 years since i last read a book but i bought myself hunger games and have been obsessed all over again, once i get going in books i can't put them down!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. When God Was A Rabbit is such a good book, hope you enjoy it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved When God was a Rabbit! X

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh I would like to dive into that pile of books. These ones are perfect for escapism, I especially reccomend Jill Mansell she is clever and funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. luv your book choices!!

    have you every read anything from lesley pearse?

    she's amazing...i never manage to put down her books whenever i start reading!

    http://kellinasthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVED when God was a Rabbit- such a good book. I've just finished the first Hunger Games book- it's brilliant- couldn't put it down!x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've just got back into reading after a hiatus as well and like you I'm hooked! (I highly recommend "The Jane Austen Book Club".) Finally, after months, I've managed to get started on "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower" after you talked about reading it. Enjoying it so far, long may it continue!xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. i, too am a self-confessed bookworm!

    i think it becomes harder when we start uni....all that necessary reading can sometimes make luxury reading difficult.

    in any event i love reading; i actually just did a post on my blog about being a book junkie x

    www.thatgoodgirlchi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Could you please review If God Was A Rabbit? (if you haven't already, if so I'll continue to browse until I find it). I got really tired of the "chick lit" style books and from the cover looks like something a little different, I'd love to know how you found it, 'cause I'm about ready for another good read.

    x

    ReplyDelete