DIY: vintage playing card framed picture.

4.3.12


When I spotted some vintage playing cards in an Etsy store called Peony & Thistle I knew I wanted them and would have to turn them into something awesome, so I decided to make a framed picture to hang in our study.

The cards arrived really quickly and beautifully wrapped and the best part is they were only £2.00. I then purchased a wooden frame from Ikea which was a few pounds (I can't remember exactly how much but Ikea are brilliant for frames - they're so cheap and come in all sorts of colours, shapes and sizes!) I got a pack of card for 30p and I already had some double sided sticky tape which would be perfect for this project. I decided to use cream card for my picture because it fits in with our study better but you could pick any colour you like. WH Smith sell packs of card in all sorts of colours including pretty pastel colours.

Lily: my shadow little helper

The rest is easy: stick a little bit of double sided tape to the back of each playing card, work out where you want to position them, unpeel the tape and stick them down. Voila! You have a homemade picture which cost less than £10, looks awesome, and if you hunt hard enough you can spell out pretty much anything you like.

Just be sure that you're positioning the cards straight and evenly, as double sided sticky tape is strong stuff. I measured the distances at the top and bottom with a tape measure just to be sure.

Happy DIY-ing!

27 comments:

  1. Love this!!! So pretty xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really brilliant! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oohh, I did something similar to this as a christmas gift for my mum, and she loves it! I too had a little shadow trying to help and playing with card... X

    ReplyDelete
  4. So simple yet so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a cool idea :)

    500daysoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. I am a big fan of making you own wall pictures by framing personal things, looks so eclectic and is individual to you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love this idea so much! So simple but yet so effective i am certainly going to try this out as i need pictures for my home

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving this idea. So simple yet so effective.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this idea! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! A fabulous way to upcycle these cards! Thanks for mentioning us too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this! Im so into d.i.y when it comes to home accessories! You got it spot on, and so cheap! Lil x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You pugs are adorable - I love how one is trying to get involved! So cute! Good idea as well - nice to have some individual artwork :)

    victoriasprocrastinationproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea :) hehe luv the way lily is supervising everything

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! I have seen prints like this around in Selfridges and wanted it so much but couldn't justify the ££ for playing cards but this is brilliant! I love making things myself too - I often browse notonthehighstreet.com and then go off and make it myself :) I think I'm going to purchase these myself! XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a good idea! I love how simple it is but so beautiful! Look at little doggy too trying to get in on the action!x

    ReplyDelete
  16. fab idea! on the etsy site now. where's my credit card?! www.amyknowsbestuk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Might try this out myself! Such a cute idea :)
    x x x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thats a great a idea! Love the simplicity and sheer beauty of it x

    cupcakesandflowers.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a great idea! I may have to try this myself xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore this! And I'm not going to lie, I've ordered the LOVE version of this for my hallway. Thank you so much for sharing. I love interiors and home stuff so keep those good ideas coming! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a brilliant idea! Cards are lovely and look really nice framed! :)
    Caroline.x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's beautiful! So simple yet so inspiring. You are too clever.

    SIDEWALKCATWALKS.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely love this, very tempted to do something like this!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete