Christmas decorations: my top picks.

18.11.12

We're well into November so I'm allowed to talk about Christmas decorations now, right? I have been itching to talk about Christmas on here since the beginning of October!

Last year Jonathan and I moved into our new home at the beginning of November so by the time we had unpacked and settled down Christmas was almost upon us and buying decorations meant a quick trip to B&Q to see what they had left (not much!)


This year I'm taking a bit more time to buy and make things that I really like to make our house look extra festive. It's quite a big house, set over 3 floors, so I plan on having a decoration shopping spree soon to add to the things we bought last year and to the bits I have been making over the last few weeks.

I definitely favour the red and white Scandinavian Christmas colour scheme as it's festive but simple and not too over the top, which means I can get away with sneaking decorations up as early as possible. It also makes things really easy when it comes to sewing and cross stitching as you only need 2 colours of thread (I'm lazy like that).


There are so many other things I have seen that haven't quite made it onto this post due to lack of space, but I hope the items I have included give you some good ideas.

I've tried to include a mixture of UK high street (from cheap and cheerful to slightly more extravagant purchases), online stores such as Dot Com Gift Shop, and items on Etsy from both UK and International sellers. I love Etsy for browsing for just about anything as there's so much to choose from and you can filter the search results to suit what you need price wise or location wise.


Lily Flame candles get a huge thumbs up from me in terms of the cute tins, quirky names and the strong scents which really fill up the room quickly. I prefer them to Yankee Candles as they're much cheaper and I find the scents much stronger, although saying that I do want to get a Yankee Candle "Christmas Cookie" candle at some point.

I have tried the Lily Flame "Just Vanilla" and "Crushed Almonds" candles and will be buying a few more soon, perhaps a couple of the festive ones but if anyone can recommend any other nice ones that would be great!


My plan for next year, as I have run out of time this year I think, is to make an epic advent calendar using felt and cross stitched windows. I also want to experiment with making my own felt ornaments as I have accumulated a large stash of felt odds and ends which I'm sure could make some really great decorations.

I'll be back shortly to share what I have bought so far this year... :)

23 comments:

  1. Lily candle blush is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a customized dog bone ornament from that shop last year. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the exact same taste! In fact, I have so much of this in my pinterest! I got the wooden reindeers off ebay, trying to decide whether to paint them, I think I will paint them white and tie with red gingham ribbon. I too have been dying to do a cross stitched advent calendar for a few years but ALWAYS run outta time! I always start in the summer with the crafts for christmas, but really need to start even earlier i think! Love the cushions and the calendars! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel the Christmas excitement already :) Love the wooden advent calendar x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have to checkout those candles! they must smell amazing!!

    http://kellinasthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww love all these! I made a really simple Advent calendar for my nephews, which requires no sewing.

    I've written about it on my blog if you fancy a peek x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a lot of nice things collected for Christmas....really like the rustic reindeer and the wooden ones are the best! I to favor the red and white Scandinavian Christmas colors. thanks for inspiring me today. Me and my daughter are heading out for a little shopping today and your wonderful ideas will be with with me while I shop....

    xoxo
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eek I am in SUCH a Christmas mood now! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw feeling super festive now! I'm moving apartments on the 20th December which will make decorating hard but I think I'll keep them up extra long to make up for it!

    Some beautiful bits here, I love the idea of buying handmade stuff from etsy! xx

    Visit The Other Side Of Cool
    Tweet me! @othersideofcool

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute picks! We're doing red and white this year too..... my favourite thing to do in November is visit the garden centres and stock up on decorations!

    I have quite a few lily flame candles and they are quite sweet and have pretty tins though I don't find the burn quality or scent is as good as Yankees!

    I love the seasons greetings doormat! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What gorgeous Christmas decorations...they're all so lovely I can't decide on my favourite but I'm definitely feeling more Christmassy now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have a traditional red theme for our decorations too - wilkinsons actually do lots of really nice and cute decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh these are all so lovely, we do red and gold for our decs..in need of some new bits x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of cute ideas!

    Also love those lily flame candles, so worth the money as the scents are gorgeous! My favourite is the parma violet one *bliss*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been getting festive for weeeeks now. It's such a great time of the year so why not! I absolutely adore those personalised dog bone ornaments. If I'd have spotted them earlier I would have definitely ordered some! x

    LittleGlitter.org

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving the Elf quote print! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember seeing these candles in a little shop in Edinburgh. They smell soooooo gooood! Also love the elf quote xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. One of the things I'm most looking forward to about having my own place is decorating for Christmas! I really love the 'handmade' look, it just feels really festive!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The reindeer decorations are soo cute
    NRC ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. This style is by far my favourite kind of Christmas décor, I'm in love with the little gingerbread man at the bottom :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg I need a christmas pudding scented candle! xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. so many great picks here. what a fun way to get into the holiday spirit. i've been wanting to do a lot of holiday stuff lately, like decorating, and making christmas cards, but i don't even know where to start! all these things were so inspirational to me, so thank you!!

    lovely blog. so glad to have discovered it!

    xox, amber

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow there are just so many christmas decoration ideas here! Great post :)

    Sarah x
    sarahloves.co.uk

    ReplyDelete