Sharrowvale Road, Sheffield.

4.11.12

We had a free day yesterday so I suggested a trip to Sharrowvale Road in Sheffield to get a cupcake (or two) and to have a look in some of the shops for potential Christmas present ideas.

There are some great independent shops selling things for the home and framed prints, not to mention the shops that I'd love to receive something from like the vintage shop which sells everything you can imagine from the 20s - 50s. Amongst the treasures I spotted and loved were some 50s aprons, beautiful tablecloths and some old photos/postcards which would look great in a frame.


Jonathan tried on some of the vintage blazers and looked rather dashing, and I spotted the most FABULOUS pink quilted dressing gown amongst an array of vintage dresses and jackets. The prices were really reasonable for such treasures and I could have easily filled my car up to the brim with them.


One of the gift shops came up trumps as Jonathan found something great for his Dad as a Christmas gift. Christmas shopping aside we were also keeping our eyes peeled for things to buy us!

We picked up a framed print by an artist we haven't heard of before, Jim Connolly. We picked a print from his range based on Sheffield which are all brilliant. It took us a while to choose but the one we decided on is very funny. I'll share it on here very soon once it's up on the wall.


They also stocked prints by Jonathan Wilkinson who is one of our favourites (we have one of his pieces hanging up in our kitchen).

As it was lunchtime we were keeping our eyes peeled for somewhere to grab some lunch. We walked past Thelma's Cafe and had a peek through the window only to be enticed by an array of sandwiches and cakes. This was to be our lunch pit stop on our way back to the car.

I had enough stuck in my teeth for another meal!

We got a couple of sandwiches to take away; a New York Deli for Jonathan and a pesto/roasted veg for me (toasted). It was SO good. I could eat it again right now, twice. We will definitely go back next time we're in the area, maybe to eat in and have a cheeky slice of cake too.

Gilbert & Sons is a great place for furniture and pieces for the home. I always walk round with my "shabby chic" head on thinking of what I could do the dressing tables and dining tables. We're on the hunt for a coffee table for our living room but couldn't see anything suitable on this trip.


They had a couple of fabulous typewriters which I stopped to stroke and cabinets stuffed full of everything you could imagine.

After winding our way round the showroom which is situated on a few different floors we stopped off at Fancie to get a cupcake and a whoopie pie to take home, and off home we went feeling a little colder but much fuller than we had done an hour or two earlier.

18 comments:

  1. What an amazing array of shops. If only I lived nearby (although it’s probably a good thing that I don’t as my bank balance would be seriously depleted). Inspired to go vintage shopping now :)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing array of shops. If only I lived nearby (although it’s probably a good thing that I don’t as my bank balance would be seriously depleted). Inspired to go vintage shopping now :)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a really lovely places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such a nice place, especially the vintage shop sounds so good!

    I am craving that baguette too, it looks delish! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I'm so jealous of all the fun vintage shopping you did! It looks like you had such a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like such a fun day - your pictures are great! Can't wait to see which art piece you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fab day out, love the look of those vintage shops and your lunch looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh your lunches looked so scrummy

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Sharrowvale! I used to live near Endcliffe park so I wasn't too far away - definitely not the place to go on a student budget though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh ma gawwd, I think it must be time for me to have my dinner cos that sandwich is making my mouth water a little bit too much x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a lovely way to spend a day! Lolling at the photo of you with food in your teeth - very brave to post it online haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These shops look amazing, it's a shame there isn't much like this near me and any vintage shops around are way overpriced!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Looks like you had a pretty amazing day! And yay for starting Christmas shopping early! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey thanks for posting this, I live the other side of Sheffield (Crookes area) and wouldn't think to go look around that area but we're getting a car in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to doing some exploring!
    The Life of Emily-Alice

    ReplyDelete
  15. As you know, I really really really love Sharrowvale Road. Thelmas is fabulous! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a lovely day and I loved the photos! X

    ReplyDelete
  17. What really interesting photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the keys, are you like me and always ponder "I wonder what locks these fit and if there's treasure behind"?

    blushingpeonies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete