Whiston.

10.11.12

Last Sunday we went for a stroll in Whiston, a village not too far from where we live in Rotherham, before our Sunday lunch. We went to the St Mary Magdalene Church and had a walk round the grounds. It was extremely cold, but we were wrapped up as warm as we could, and very quiet, minus one old lady walking her dog.


The oldest dated gravestone in the grounds dates back to 1696 and the Lychgate in front of the church dates back to 1919 when it was built as a war memorial. We also spotted the stocks which are dated 1786 and are located just next to the Lychgate.

I do love a little bit of exploring on a weekend.


10 comments:

Rachael said...

It's so cool they still have the original stocks around, compared to many which have just passed away with time and the site is unknown!

Rowan said...

I do love a good graveyard; the stocks are fascinating!

Tammy Chrzan said...

That is amazing... I love walking in old places... I mean 1786? Wow. Just WOW... Could they have even fathomed us in todays world? Amazing photography, I enjoyed visiting your blog!

StephDreamsBlog said...

Lovely photos :)
I love Churches, and a bit weirdly grave yards. I always want to take photos of them, but never really know if I should. I just feel very peaceful there and love how some of them look..... A little weird? :/
xx

Stephanie

charlotte emma said...

love exploring unusual places

xx

Vic said...

I find old cemeteries weirdly fascinating, its so strange to think about the people that the headstones belong to & how different their lives must have been to ours. I love going somewhere new at the weekend!

A Lauren to Herself said...

Stunning pics, it looks gorgeous. I work near to the Halifax Minster and your pics are similar to the grounds there x

Rachel said...

It looks both sinister and perfect there. I have something of an unhealthy obsession with old cemeteries, churches and graveyards to be honest!

Helen said...

This is so weird because there's a place near us called Whiston too! In fact I was born in the hospital there. This Whiston looks prettier though haha.

Diamond Eyes said...

Wow, I just started following you last night and I had no idea you lived so close. I'm a rotherham girl myself, not that I'm too proud to admit that. haha.

www.thesediamondeyes.blogspot.co.uk