How I lost weight: part 2 (before & after pics).

14.1.13

I recently updated the weight loss tab above as it was out of date considering I have lost a further half a stone since I originally blogged about my weight loss (here). That blog post was more about my tips and advice and hopefully a bit of motivation for anyone out there looking to lose weight. This blog post will go into a bit more detail about when and why I made changes and where I'm at now (with a few old photos thrown in for good measure).

It was tweeting about the updated tab and receiving a whole host of lovely comments that brought me here, writing this. I don't often think of myself as inspiring but I know before I started to lose weight that I was so unhappy and looked everywhere for inspiration, so I figured I should talk about it more. It is quite difficult to talk about some of these things (and to share old photos) so I hope you'll be kind to me in the comments.


The first half of 2010 was super stressful for me. I was trying to get out of a bad relationship but felt trapped and resigned to a discontented life. I had just started a new job in HR, which was all new to me, and I was trying to balance a difficult personal life with staying upbeat and positive in my new busy career.

My weight had been creeping up for a while and 2010 was my heaviest year. I was eating takeaways for dinner several nights a week, skipping breakfast, eating too much junk food and only exercising very occasionally. I didn't feel healthy or happy and I was desperate to make big changes.

To cut a very long story short, the relationship eventually ended in the summer of 2010 and after several difficult weeks of sharing a house with my ex partner we both moved on. I moved back in with my parents but this time I had two little dogs and a whole load of belongings in tow.

During the break up I lost my appetite. I rarely ate breakfast and would often forget to take lunch to work with me. For dinner I would have packet noodles, beans on toast or (my favourite at the time) fish finger sandwiches. I didn't know how to cook and was a pretty rubbish food shopper.


Once I moved back in with my parents I began to eat much better and felt happier in myself. Proper home cooked meals with veg were always on the cards and I started to feel ready to make some positive changes. Although I had started to lose weight the wrong way, I continued to lose weight once I had got my eating back on track and got into the swing of my new routine. I also started to do a bit of exercise, mainly jogging and the 30 Day Shred.

A couple of months later I met Jonathan and he was to become the driving force of motivation for me. Although he has a fast metabolism and can eat whatever he likes, he chooses to eat healthy food, rarely has takeaways and plays sport twice a week as well as visiting the gym most weekdays on his lunch break. Although I had dabbled in exercise before I met him it was only after we started dating that I really got into it.

By this point I had moved out into my own place and most evenings I would go jogging or do a workout DVD and Jonathan taught me how to cook and do my food shopping on a budget to make healthy dinners.


After 6 months of living on my own, my rent lease came to an end and I moved to Rotherham into Jonathan's house (poor Lily and Lola were sick of moving by this point, as was I). I continued with my evening workouts and on a weekend we would play squash together.

In 2010 I weighed around 11 stone 3lbs at my heaviest. Today I weigh 8 stone 12lbs. I'd like to get to 8 stone 10lbs and stay there, and that's my goal for 2013 (my height is 5'5).

I suppose the summary of my story is that whilst I was trapped in an unhappy place I didn't have the inclination to eat well or exercise. I couldn't cook and takeaways were the norm as opposed to being a treat once in a while. Once I got myself to a better place and surrounded myself with better people I had the desire to look after myself, exercise and eat well. I couldn't have lost the weight and kept it off without making some big changes and incorporating them into my everyday life.

I have managed to maintain the same weight for a while now which I'm really pleased with. I do have days and weeks where I overindulge and don't do much exercise so, if that happens, I try to work twice as hard to burn off those extra calories. I do worry about my weight creeping back up to what it was but I know that my lifestyle is so much different now and I am much more motivated.


It was (and is) hard work exercising several times a week and having treats in moderation. Working out is hard. It's sweaty and horrible and most of the time I'd rather not do it, but once I get going I really enjoy it and always feel better afterwards.

Picking up the biscuit tin and only having a couple of biscuits is a test of my willpower and still something I struggle with, often falling off the wagon and eating every sweet thing in sight (yes Christmas, I'm looking at you!)

I hope this has been helpful to some of you (if you made it this far!) and I'll definitely be back soon with more posts about food and exercise. If you have any suggestions or requests then please let me know in the comments section. I'd happily answer any emails too. I do like a good chinwag! :)

42 comments:

  1. I think you're so brave to talk about this so openly - go you! I totally understand what you mean about exercise, with the exception of going out for a run I hardly ever feel like it. But I always feel a million times better afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your weight loss journey - you look like a completely different person now to the Victoria you were before (not that that's a bad thing in the slightest). I found myself putting a stone or so on when I went through some relationship times, it's so much easier to put it on than it is to lose it but I'm so much happier now and at a normal weight.


    Love that you live in South Yorkshire, I live in Sheffield and it's always lovely to find bloggers who live nearby.

    Hannah www.cagneyandlace.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fab post. And you look so different from those first photographs. Although I still think you look lovely in them. I'm going to write a similar post today. I've got a little way to go before I'm at my happy weight though. Your story is inspiring me to keep going!

    Jen | sunny sweet pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. impressive! i am on a journey myself and this is really motivating me to pursue my goal. thanks for sharing. following u now.

    http://nondieter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so inspirational! Good for you I say, and how amazing do you look! I would love to read more about your daily diet? And why you went veggie, and also if Jonathan eats meat? I'm not a huge fan of meat myself so have always had thoughts about going veggie....but my husband is a meat eater so just think it might be difficult being the only veggie in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love learning about how you changed your lifestyle to make a difference to your weight. I hate reading about quick fixes and diets, there is no quick fix, it's ongoing and a lifestyle change.
    I joined to gym in 2011, and have been amazed by how my body has changed, and how much I enjoy going. I eat healthily (few too many crisps though) but my challenge this year is to really change my eating to hopefully lose some more weight and get to my target. It's hard, but very worthwhile feeling better inside and out.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've done so well Victoria!

    It's really interesting to see before and after photos. I am in the process of trying to lose weight, so you are an inspiration :)

    I sometimes find eating healthily on a budget hard, and end up eating the same healthy meals which gets a bit boring. Do you have any supermarket tips or exciting healthy meal tips?

    Thanks!

    Beth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was my heaviest last summer, i was about 11 stone. now i'm exercising and eating healthily for the most part and since september i have got my weight down to 10 stone 3 lbs. i am so proud of myself so far but i really want to get down to 9 stone. it is hard to keep motivated, but seeing how well you have done has definitely helped! I did a post on my weightloss on my blog, if you want to take a look? www.aztecmess.com

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are definitely an inspiration! I'm currently 12 stone and really want to get down to a healthier more comfortable weight. I started the 30 day shred a week ago and the hardest part is getting started! Thank you for giving me the confidence to just get on with it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. you've done a great job and reading this post made me smile - it's lovely to see you have found happiness and health :) I'm just at the beginning of my weight loss and you're so right - it's HARD! do you mind me asking how tall you are? x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Victoria.
    I've been following your blog for a while now (a few years?) and you are very inspiring.
    Thanks to you I discovered the 30 Day Shred, which has made a huge impact on my work-out motivation (still trying to cut back on the sweets).
    Thank you for being so honest about your weight loss, it truly is inspiring :)
    Pia from Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this post, I definitely want to incorporate more exercise into 2013. More just for health than to lost weight.

    I had no idea you had lost so much weight over the past few years, you look amazing and it sounds like you did it in such a healthy way.

    I would love to see some cookery posts, if yo have the time. What sort of healthy meals you have been eating or what snacks you have.

    Good luck with the next couple of pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am 5'5! Sorry - I should have said that. I will edit this post :)

    All of the other questions are fab and will be answered in a future post very soon!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such an inspirational post. I would love to read more about your exercises as this is something I really need to work on to get fitter. Also your healthy meals and snacks. Well done by the way! I'm glad you're in a much happier place now :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey there! Please do a 'what I ate today' post soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think i have been following your blog since near the beginning- and I remember the tough times, and its great to see the good ones to. It's important to be healthy- not just 'skinny' and I am so glad you are setting a positive example. Well done, you look fab and healthy! I feel nspired! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this! It was really inspirational :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. If anything I'm more surprised that you were blonde! You really do have such a lovely figure

    thoughtsfromanothergirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look fantastic and so very different, I lost over three stones years ago and though trying to keep it off is hellish, I feel so much better about myself, well done and also you look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look fantastic! & this is such an inspirational post :)

    Keep up the good work!
    xx
    - Keeley | Living In Your Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing your story - it's extremely inspiring. I have had issues myself with weight over the years ranging from too big to far too skinny and developing quite an unhealthy attitude towards food. I am in a much better place now and am such a believer that exercise is the most important thing, and that the occasional treat doesn't matter. It's so interesting to see your photos along your journey - you have such a wonderful attitude and it's brilliant that you can inspire people to adopt a healthy lifestyle. Well done.

    PS - I especially love the photo of you at the Roman Baths - my hometown!

    Beccy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. fantastic story and what an achievement! that's a big weight loss! you look fantastic so i wouldn't worry too much about those 2 pounds. so good that you did it the healthy way - because get caught into fads that work at first but not in the long run. it's pretty simple - eat less junk, more good stuff and less portions and exercise!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, you've done so well. I'm so proud of you and I don't even know you! I'm trying to be healthier too, for my weight and for my skin since I get horrible acne when i don't eat as healthy. I'm really trying my hardest, but as you said it's easy to fall back into your own old habits! Exercising is still proving rather difficult for me, but I will try. Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great post- i think you look beautiful at any weight :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have done so well! I found I lost weight just be changing my mindset, once I was in a happier place like you I didn't feel such an urge to snack! But I really must exercise more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a great post Victoria! And huge congratulations on all that willpower.. I give in too easily! xx

    The Littles.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great post! Definitely inspired me to get back on my cross trainer later :)

    Rebecca
    x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow this is hugely inspirational. Well done Victoria, you've done amazing. I would love more posts on your healthy eating and exercise ideas/plans as I need some serious help. I've got at least 3 stone to lose and sometimes it just seems so impossible. Starting is always the hardest part but you've proved to me it's possible so thank you, Debbie (Fluttercups) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post, and I can relate to your story in many was, specially about eating unhealthy during a difficult time in life. And the part about the exercising you were spot on; it feels terrible during the exercise, but the feeling afterwards is soo good that I keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think you are beautiful. Heavier or lighter, blonde or brunette. Well done for losing the weight, though, you are definitely an inspiration. I need something to give me a kickstart, I'm finding the start of my diet desperately dull and I'm struggling to stick to it. I've only lost 2lb - 16 to go!!

    Now, that watch in the first lot of pics (where you're wearing massive sunnies and eating a lolly). What watch is it? I love it! :)

    Nicki x

    ReplyDelete
  31. ALSO, when you say you've increased your exercise, have you done it all via videos at home? I am too shy to go to the gym on my own so I don't get much exercise at all. Help me, Victoria! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  32. You've done really well with what you have achieved - I'm sure it will inspire :).

    I started a new job in October and since then I have been attempting to eat so much healthier with lots of fruit (not quite so much veg - still haven't got the hang of that one yet) as living on my own I used to eat the wrong things. It does depend on what influences you have around you as I found in retail I ate junk,junk & more junk but in my office job it tends to be much more healthier and generally I feel better.Once I can master the art of eating breakfast and getting my gym routine back(been a bit slack since xmas) then I will be sorted!

    Do you have any suggestions for office lunches on a budget?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Victoria, thank you so much for writing this post! You are such a great inspiration and I have always loved reading your blog. :)

    I hope one day to be in as great shape as you are lol

    Love from Canada,

    B.

    allthingspretty-xoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is such an inspirational post, well done on the weight loss.

    I've put on nearly a stone last year, and I'm determined to make some changes in 2013. Definitely agree with you re the exercise though, it feels like such hard work every time x

    peoniesandlilies.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is such a great post - its really inspired me to get off my bum and get exercising. I find getting into a good routine really helps. Also looking forward to more food and exercise posts soon!

    Alice x
    rococ0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is such an inspiring post! I'm at the start of my weight loss journey and seeing all the pictures and how you've changed has really encouraged me and shown me that it can be done! So thank you for posting this :)

    eyelashwishes-x.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrats for your results... you look so good! Personally, I've got rid of my extra pounds with the help of some classes held by them: http://www.bambamboo.com. I'm really happy of my achievements and martial arts are really useful if we want to have a healthy lifestyle and lose weight. Plus that we can learn how to defend ourselves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. congrats :) you actually inspired me ages ago to buy the 30 day shred and i finally did a few month ago and love it!!! im starting insanity now though and joined weight watchers a month ago and can see the pounds flying off... well done to you, huge inspiration

    becky x

    ReplyDelete
  39. I just want to say you look absolutely amazing and don't need to loose any more weight!! You've done a fantastic job so far, but honestly, you look GREAT as it is without loosing that other 2 lbs. You look super slim in all your photos and always look gorgeous.

    I'm 5ft 6 and currently weigh 9st 13lbs, my goal is 9st 7lbs and friends have told me not to loose any more, so can't imagine being only 8st 10! (I was at my heaviest, after a break up, over 13 stone and a size 16). Even at my thinnest, as a lanky 16 year old in a size 8, I was just over 9 stone, so I suppose everyone carries weight differently. I have huge hips, a big bum/boobs and a tinnnyyyy waist. My hips are pure bone though so will never be reduced in size!

    I love to know how much other people weigh, just out of interest really to see the different variations in body types and weight, but hope that people don't get too bogged down with it. After all, it's just a number and healthiness can never be judged on someone's weight.

    What an inspiration you are though to fellow bloggers and readers : )

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is amazing, you look fantastic! You've inspired me! I very often have 'health binges' when i'm really really good for a bit and then absolutely awful because the results aren't 'quick enough'!

    This post is inspirational and educational all wrapped into one! I will see it as a kick up the backside for some new healthy living!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm very glad that I've discovered your blog, your blog is extremely brilliant with your quality content and relevant information. Thank you so much.

    kimera

    ReplyDelete