Lunch at The Garden Room, Rotherham.

27.4.13

A couple of weekends ago Jonathan and I thought we would treat ourselves to lunch somewhere nearby. He suggested The Garden Room Restaurant which is in Braithwell, Rotherham, as he'd been before many moons ago and recalled that it was nice.

And nice it was! I loved the place from the second I saw the blue painted windows and gates and the adorable car parked outside. It didn't disappoint inside either; shabby chic tables and chairs, floral walls at one end and clever bookshelf wallpaper at the other. Not to mention hat stands and flowers everywhere, and CAKE.


We shared a pot of tea for two which came with extra hot water so we got plenty of cups between us. As a vegetarian I don't often feel spoilt for choice with menus but there was definitely a good handful of options for me to choose from.

Sadly there was nothing vegetarian on the specials board so I went for a sandwich melt from the main menu comprising of portobello mushrooms, mozzarella, pesto and pine nuts (probably one of my favourite groupings of food!) Jonathan went for the deli sandwich from the specials board and we shared a portion of chips. Often one portion to share isn't enough but in this case it was, hurrah!

Given a choice of bread I went for the seeded variety and Jonathan chose ciabatta. My sandwich was very, very good.


We were stuffed at the end of our sandwiches and chips but we were determined to try one of the puddings on offer. There were stands full of goodies along the counter (rocky road, brownies and different kinds of cake) as well as a chiller containing carrot cake, lemon meringue pie, coffee cake, cheesecake and chocolate mousse to name a few. After some lots of deliberating we got a slice of carrot cake and a slice of lemon meringue pie boxed up to take home.

We weren't at home long before those boxes were opened and we consumed our huge pieces of cake. The carrot cake was delicious but I would definitely advise sharing one piece like we did. One thing's for sure, there's no scrimping on portion sizes here! Jonathan said the lemon meringue pie was the best he has ever had and I confirmed, after tucking in to my half of it, that it was indeed superb!

I'm sure it won't be long before we head back here for another lunch and to try a different variety of cake. It would be rude not to!

 
Fellow South Yorkshire folk, is this somewhere you have been to or heard of before? We're always looking for recommendations for places to go/places to eat so let me know if there's anywhere you recommend.

 photo bloglovin-2.png  photo twitter-3.png  photo facebook-3.png  photo instagram-2.png

22 comments:

  1. I wish I could find beautiful little places this,
    Looks like such a nice thing to do!

    Kelly || DayDreamsDaisyChains.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks delicious there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little place looks so cute! Your sandwich looks tasty too - and I don't even like mushrooms! I think my boyfriend and I need to venture out to different places for lunch. Your blog posts always seem to inspire me to want to do this, but it never seems to happen! I might have to do a bit of research :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look that looks like a gorgeous place, I'm definitely going to visit as I'm in Leeds so it's not that far. Would make a nice day out. Thanks for sharing, Debbie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! That food looks so yummy. It looks like such a quaint little place. =D x

    dreamingofblossoms.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This place looks and sounds amazing! The car outside is so so cute! xxx


    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw this place sounds lovely :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these kinds of places :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a shame this is so far away from Essex!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  10. The food looks and sounds lovely, especially the lemon meringue pie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, everything looks SO yummy! <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. this place looks amazing, might be worth a trip across from leeds! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks amazing. It's a good job i'm not close or I would go there a lot! Loving your new hair xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This place looks lovely. Yummy sandwich, except for the mushrooms bleurgh. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my god my belly's is rumbling, that food looks amazing! Also, your hair looks so beautiful, you really suit it x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, the food looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm always on the look out for new lunch places Victoria and I've surprisingly never been here so thanks for the heads up lovely! Looks like you and the boy had a great time.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like a lovely place! Somewhere i've not visited before too :D x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This place looks so nice, I definitely want to give it a visit. Don't know if you've been before but Wentworth garden centre is really lovely for an afternoon out (especially for the cakes).

    Your hair looks gorgeous too by the way :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish this was nearer to me! It looks so yummy :) I love finding little gems of places to eat around where I live :)

    xxx

    http://sarahslittlegems.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  21. This place looks amazing, your sandwich sounds divine - kudos for being veggie too ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. this looks so cute - i'll defo be taking my mum here next time we have some time together. x

    ReplyDelete