Falling off the wagon / how I stay motivated.

5.8.13

Recently I've had a flurry of emails from people asking me about my weight loss, and looking for tips and advice on where to start with their weight loss journey. I love answering these emails as I feel like I've got a lot of great advice to give which has worked for me, but, like a lot of people, I'm not always good at taking my own advice and I think it's really important for me to be honest with you all and show that it takes hard work and willpower to not only lose weight but maintain it.

I LOVE food. If I could I'd eat crisps, biscuits and cake every day. I love fruit and veg too, but I have a sweet tooth which rears its ugly head now and again. What I try to do is allow myself little treats every day as I don't want to deny myself anything, but every so often I "fall off the wagon" in an almighty way and end up in a spiral of doom, feeling like a failure and eating more to make myself feel better (which, of course, it doesn't). It takes a whole lot of effort to dig myself back out of it again.

Before I went on holiday to Ibiza in June I was at my fittest and lightest and I felt great. On holiday I overindulged and since then I've been finding it really difficult to stay on track. The odd treat has turned into far too many treats on a daily basis and my workouts have become less frequent the more I eat. I know I want to get back into my normal routine but I have found it difficult to shake off the bad habits. I've been making excuses and losing focus on the bigger picture.

Perhaps it's because recently I've had a few things on my mind and have turned to food for comfort. I have been eating out of boredom and have stopped listening to when my body is hungry. I have been slacking with drinking enough water and my workouts have slipped.

In a nutshell, I'm only human!

So what am I planning to do to stay on track? To look in the mirror and feel happy but also feel happier in my mind?


* I'm definitely not one to suggest cutting out food or being restrictive because long term it just doesn't work. But what works for me is routine, routine, routine! I like to be in control of what I'm eating and when. I like to eat small meals throughout the day and get my 5 a day! I like to drink plenty of water (because I don't really like drinking anything else) and I like to adopt the 80/20 rule which has always worked well for me in the past (i.e. be good 80% of the time).

* Keep posting on my new Instagram account (wearpinkeatgreen). Sharing my workout successes and healthy meals is a great way for me to track my progress and keep up to speed with my favourite lifestyle Instagrammers for inspiration.

* Workout five days a week using my Fitness Blender plans, allowing two rest days but on those days making time for walks or some low impact cardio if I feel like it. 

* Keep diet and exercise as two seperate things. i.e. eat healthily because it benefits my insides, the way I look, my skin, hair, nails, etc, and exercise regularly because it keeps me fit and strong, keeps my mind happy and will hopefully make me live longer!

* Drink more water on a weekend (I find it easy to get my 2litres+ in at work but rarely drink on a weekend). 

* Stop beating myself up for having lunch out with work friends or going out for a meal with Jonathan. Try to accept that it's a treat and not normality, and get on with my normal routine the following day.

* Buy heavier weights and push my workouts. Stop going through the motions and try to see some changes with the areas I'm not happy with (stomach mainly!)

* Remember why I lost weight in the first place and how much happier I am in every way, shape or form.

Eating rubbish makes me feel rubbish. It makes me tired, crabby and stressed out. It also makes my skin bad and saps my energy levels which in turn makes me feel less productive and less motivated. Sometimes a polite kick up the bum is needed and writing this has certainly worked wonders!

Left - Early 2010 Right - June 2013
(roughly 2 1/2 stone difference)

 photo bloglovin-2.png  photo twitter-3.png  photo facebook-3.png  photo instagram-2.png

18 comments:

  1. Such an inspiring post! We sound very alike in our 'weight loss journeys'. I'm about 2 stone lighter than I was about 3 years ago and have been able to maintain it well so far, but it can be difficult! Since I got back from holiday I've found it hard to get back on track completely, I've still been going to the gym and eating fairly ok but not as sensibly as I could be. I think it's because I haven't had anything to focus on, like I did before I went to Malta. But I have two weddings next month so hoping that'll give me some motivation to try harder! It's difficult losing weight, but I think it's a lot harder to maintain it. You are a real inspiration Victoria. I'm sorta tempted to start up an intagram about my health and fitness too! And I reeeeally want one of those watches, but they are pricey! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. You have done so well! You look amazing!!

    When I'm in a regular exercising/eating healthy routine I always feel amazing and vow not to fall out of the routine. But if I do, it's the hardest thing to get back to! I was back at the gym tonight after 4 months off, so hopefully I'm heading the right way!

    xxx
    www.maisymeow.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great motivational post :) I'm very jealous of your pink polar, mine is the same one but grey and boring :(
    The Life of Emily-Alice


    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing! It shows hard work pays off:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips - I love how eating well and exercising make me feel but sometimes it can be difficult, I just want to be "normal" and eat a cake sometimes (so long as it doesn't turn into 5 cakes). Definitely agree with your tip about keeping diet and exercise separate. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for writing this Victoria - I've recently lost a lot of weight (around 3.5st) and this weekend saw me hit a bit of a brick wall with the whole thing. I wrote a blog post all about how I was feeling and not knowing what to 'do' next. Like almost I needed some reassurance.

    p.s I'm a Sheffield girl, originally Rotherham (where my parents live)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check out your blog when I'm on the computer! Ooh I like to know when local peeps are following me. Where abouts in Rotherham do they live? x

      Delete
  7. You really are an inspiration for me on my weight loss journey, I love how you still have little treats and talk about how you occasionally fall of the wagon, I do the same and it makes me feel better because sometimes the other blogs I read make me feel so guilty for having a bad day, so thanks for being honest :)
    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really are an inspiration for me on my weight loss journey, I love how you still have little treats and talk about how you occasionally fall of the wagon, I do the same and it makes me feel better because sometimes the other blogs I read make me feel so guilty for having a bad day, so thanks for being honest :)
    Jazz x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is incredible! You have done so well and have come so far.

    I am by no means a pro at losing weight and keeping it off, instead, I find myself falling into the yo-yo pattern... I get to where I want to be, or at least half way, and then treat myself with congratulatory choccies!!

    One trick I'm starting now, is just putting on my running shoes... once they are on, I have more motivation to go for a jog :)

    Keep up the good work, the hardest part is over.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this! I think a personal work out/healthy eating plan is the best way to go and it's great you've found what works for you. Also, writing it down like a goal will make it easier to achieve too.

    I have the 80/20 rule but on holiday it's 100% bad stuff! So I can understand how it's hard to get back to normal routine after holidays

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this! I think a personal work out/healthy eating plan is the best way to go and it's great you've found what works for you. Also, writing it down like a goal will make it easier to achieve too.

    I have the 80/20 rule but on holiday it's 100% bad stuff! So I can understand how it's hard to get back to normal routine after holidays

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  12. In Kimberworth - that's where I grew up and lived until I was twenty. Rotherham gets such a bad name sometimes, but it really is not that bad and there are some great places to discover! Some you mention on here - I've shamefully never visited before. Now I'm at Waterthorpe in Sheffield (close to Crystal Peaks and not far from Rother Valley) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Alice - I agree, people seem to think it's a bit pants but where we live is lovely (near Wickersley/Bramley). I'm not familiar with Kimberworth, I'm a bit rubbish at exploring my new town :) I'm a Leeds girl you see! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really inspiring to see. I'm currently going to the gym 3-4 times a week and eating healthy. I'd like to loose a couple more pounds but the hard work is slowly showing! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Victoria, I've been following you since I started blogging in 2009. You've always been beautiful, but I love how much more focused you are on keeping yourself healthy. You've got a great outlook, and it really shows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your weight loss journey is so inspirational - you look absolutely fantastic and it sounds like you feel great too!

    I've been learning to run from absolutely NO fitness (like breathless after a minute of jogging!) and have started blogging about it at www.seeharrisrun.blogspot.com - it's my little newborn blog for now and is very much a work in progress but I hope I might be able to share my journey like you've shared yours :)

    Feel free to take a little look if you have a spare minute.

    Thanks for sharing your journey and hope it continues to go well!

    xxx

    www.seeharrisrun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for sharing this post! You see so many bloggers who pretend to eat super healthy all the time so it's refreshing to see someone who shares their love of all things yummy and sweet! Your fitness journey looks amazing; I've been doing lots of fitnesblender workouts too and hope to get as good results as you! Sorry for the spammy commenting btw, I just found your blog and I love it:D

    lily x
    http://www.jolihouse.com/

    ReplyDelete