Walk for All.

20.8.13

On Sunday my alarm went off at 5am and I woke, bleary eyed, ready to take part in a Jane Tomlinson Walk for All event. After getting ready and having a bit of breakfast my friend and I made the 2 hour journey to the Yorkshire Dales. 

We were signed up to "The Blockbuster", a 14 mile walk which took us through Malhamdale and past the curved limestone cliffs which was a location for one of the Harry Potter films (hence being called "The Blockbuster"!)

We both knew it would be tough and nothing like our usual walking routine round the pavements where we live, but nothing prepared us for how tough it really was. 

The first hour was extremely windy with heavy rain which was being blasted at us from all angles. My waterproof jacket failed me so I was soaked to the skin, and our shoes/socks were completely soaked through.


Eventually the rain subsided but the damage was done, we were pretty much drenched from head to toe and all we could do was plod on and try to think happy thoughts! The sun made an appearance later on in the morning which helped us to dry off a little and made things much more bearable/warmer!

Half way round the course we had to make our way up 418 stone steps which was as tough as it sounds. My heart was beating out of my chest as I tried to pick up some momentum to get to the top as quickly as possible. Some of the steps were the same height as the tops of my legs so it was a real effort to climb up each one.

I'd say around the 11 mile mark my hips started to ache, and every time I put one leg in front of the other it hurt. Not an unbearable pain by any means but I knew I'd be sore for the next few days, and sore I definitely am!

It was a great experience. It's not often I do scary things so I feel really proud of myself for completing the challenge and also, most importantly, raising £115 for charity (Parkinson's UK to be precise).

I hope this is the first of many times I push myself into doing things that scare me and going past my comfort zone to achieve something really great.


 photo bloglovin-2.png  photo twitter-3.png  photo facebook-3.png  photo instagram-2.png

17 comments:

  1. well done on raising money for charity and completing the walk! sounds like it was tough but you did a good job of it :)

    Rosie
    x

    littlestagg.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went on a field trip there in uni....I remember the steps!! Beautiful though but not so much being made to go for a walk by the lecturers in torrential rain as something to do. One guy wore flip flops....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Well done you! It sounds impressive & horrific at the same time but for a very worthy cause :) You should be very proud of yourself :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos, the walk looks amazing, well done xx

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photographs and good on you for doing the walk. The only time I've visited Malham Cove was for a GCSE school geography trip which nearly up me off geography for life being a super unfit 15 year old and trying up get up to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done you- that's an amazing achievement (especially keeping cheery with wet socks; I certainly couldn't do it!). I think I'd be happy sponsoring someone just to get up at 5am! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work! And wonderful photos.
    I'm training for the Hot Chocolate Run in December and I have the opposite problem... in Phoenix, Arizona it's still 100F at 10pm. I'd love a break to run the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, well done you and what amazing views x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw it looks so lovely there! Well done !:) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks beautiful! Well done to you and Katy for doing the walk - great achievement :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing, well done you :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful pictures, you did amazing congratulations :)
    http://wwwclairabelle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing pictures and congrats on the 14 miles! The landscape looks amazing <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! I've run a half-marathon but I've never walked one. Great achievement!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, wow, what an achievement! You must be so proud of yourself! It's really difficult to comprehend what that amount of distance feels like but Tom and I went on a walk in the New Forest on Monday and I was exhausted after two miles so I can't imagine that times 7 plus wind and rain! xo

    Rosie | A Rosie Outlook

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I'm just catching up with you. Well done on your walk - you reminded me that Malham was supposed to be on my list to visit this year! I loved your IOM posts. My work friend moved out there a few years ago and loves it. I once had to work there for a week in winter and I thought it was beautiful. Your hair looks lovely by the way. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS - I know that you are always on the lookout for some where nice to eat - have you tried the new Tamper Coffee at Sellers Wheel in Sheffield? https://www.facebook.com/tampercoffee I think you would love it xxx

    ReplyDelete