Road trip (Whitby and the North Yorkshire Moors) - part 1!

7.8.14

Sometimes we work too hard and forget to make the most of our weekends, so last weekend that is just what we did! Originally we wanted to find somewhere doggy friendly and take Lily and Lola along with us but as Lily has just had an operation on her leg and they've both had a scale, polish and several teeth removed we thought they would have a much better time with my mum and dad, away from the hot weather and walking!

After trawling the internet for somewhere to go and not having much luck I finally found somewhere after looking on Air BnB. We booked a tiny little cottage which was built in the 1790s in the village of Castleton which meant we could spend a day in Whitby and a day on the North Yorkshire Moors.

Whitby was great! I thought I had visited before as a child but neither of us recognised anything so I guess it was our first visit. We walked up and down the pier, took the 199 steps up to the Abbey where we saw snippets of a Dracula play over the wall (we had just missed it, damn!) and walked up to the whale bones to take in the view.

Of course we had to have fish and chips for lunch so we stopped at the Magpie Cafe which was packed even though it had only been open 10 minutes. Luckily they had one table left so we were in! I went for a pot of decaf tea, small cod and chips with a side of bread and butter. Jonathan went for an ale, a large haddock and chips. The fish was such good quality, so white and flaky, and my small size was just right for me.


After fish and chips we had room for something sweet (of course) and found the Teare Wood's ice cream parlour which I was keeping a beady out for after seeing the reviews on Trip Advisor. This is where I made a mistake of epic proportions. They had so many yummy flavours that I panicked and went for mint choc chip which I could have any time. Jonathan got raspberry pavlova and kindly gave me a taste and it was bloody beautiful! I definitely should have tried lemon meringue or pannacotta. Damn it! Anyway the ice cream was beautiful and the man who served us was so friendly. Check it out if you visit.

After a stint on the 2p machines desperately trying to win some Lego for Jonathan (it was never going to happen) we walked round the shops, popping in to look at quirky house stuff and organic smellies, before popping into a fudge shop and devouring a bag of chocolate orange fudge.

After a trip to the art gallery we headed back to the car and drove to our cottage for the evening.

Part 2 coming soon!

 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

25 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like you had a great time. The ice cream sounds yummy.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! It's not often I have ice cream as it doesn't agree with me so I have to make the most of such occasions :-)

      Delete
  2. We're going to Whitby tomorrow :) BBQ on the beach instead of fish and chips though - regardless of weather, ha!

    Ohhellojo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love North Yorkshire - my family come from there and I miss it so much now that they've all moved down South. This has definitely hade me want to visit Whitby again!

    Jenny xx

    ramblingsofajaffacat.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get yourself a trip sorted ;-)

      Delete
  4. Yay, staycation! We're doing a little road trip next week - blog post about it is scheduled for tomorrow!

    Zoe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, have a fun trip!

      Delete
  5. This area looks so cute with the matching little houses and the terracotta roofs (that is an awkward plural...)

    I would totally be the same as you and revert back to the ol' faithful ice cream choice. I panic when I have too many choices. Raspberry Pavlova flavor sounds amazing!

    Susie | june lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was... gutted I could only have one little lick! :(

      Delete
  6. We took a trip here last summer... perfect little day out :-)
    aworldfullofprettiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love Whitby I went back in March and it was great! I walked up those steps and went to the Magpie Cafe just like you and the wishbones! It's such a lovely place!

    http://theperksofmeg.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you enjoy your fish and chips? I was really impressed!

      Delete
  8. Ah i love playing on the 2p machines! I never win anything either!

    Sounds like you had a lovely time. Looking forward to part 2!

    ​Leanne @ Leanne-Marie ​ x​​x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be up over the weekend I hope :)

      Delete
  9. Amazing pictures!xx Lovely post!

    Marina / marinasirmais

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like my piccies. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Victoria, you make me Britain so much! :) Looks like you had a great weekend. Beautiful photos. I also have to say how much I love your blog. It is definitely my favourite feel good one, and one of the very few that I always keep coming back to. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the sweetest comment, thank you! <3

      Delete
  11. *i meant miss Britain, but i'm sure you got that :) i really mean it. hope you never consider giving it up again :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did :-) I will keep going for as long as people will have me! x

      Delete
  12. Lovely post! I went to Whitby a few years ago and still remember The Magpie. I've never had fish and chips like them since!

    Beccy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I really want to go to Whitby again, we used to visit on family holidays as a kid but I never really "got" the Dracula link until I read the book when I was a bit older. Your photos and words make it sound like somewhere I definitely want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Whitby and you have captured it beautifully. We don't live too far from there and try to go at least once a year. I did a blog post on our last trip here:
    http://rubee-rubee.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/a-day-in-whitby.html

    ReplyDelete