Sorrento - part 2 (including Capri and Pompeii).

15.10.14

Read part 1 - here!

Apart from visiting Amalfi and Positano we also did lots of exploring near our hotel and in the main centre of Sorrento. We visited a different restaurant every night, and a few cafes in the daytime, as well as a few ice cream shops (would be rude not to..) The best meal we had was at a restaurant called L'Antica Trattoria. We tried the set menu, a different menu each, and it was definitely a good choice. My main of pork was one of the best dishes I've ever eaten and Jonathan had rave reviews about his pasta course served inside a hollowed giant lemon!

Aside from a couple of relaxing days and a day spent at the wedding we also managed to squeeze in a day trip to Capri and half a day in Pompeii.

 
We took a boat ride from Sorrento to Capri and located an open top taxi at the port which we thought would be a nice way to make our way up to Anacapri. It turned out to be the most hair raising car journey of our lives. Think a rollercoaster without the track! Luckily we made it in one piece and spent the next few hours in Anacapri. 

We took the cable cars to see the spectacular views at the highest point of Anacapri which was well worth it. We spent ages taking in the views (ahem, and eating more ice cream).


Pompeii was the highlight of our trip. It's obviously a tremendous tragedy but absolutely fascinating and incredible to see a town so in tact after 2000 years. You really get a sense of what life was like in those days, like stepping back in time.

You can hire a guide or make your own way round. As it was just me and Jonathan we decided to do our own thing and make our way round using a guidemap. We managed to see pretty much everything, although we didn't manage to find the brothel!

I can't really do it justice with photos so I suggest you visit if you find yourself in Italy!

 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

9 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to go to Pompeii it looks absolutely fascinating. Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making me so jealous. I went to Positano back in May and looooved it, wish I were there now! Pompeii is so amazing too, it such an odd atmosphere. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

    The Peppermint Pencil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fab! I've been to Sorrento a couple of times and Pompei just once but it's such a lovely place. I still want to visit Capri though, although I think I might have to save up a while before going there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post has given me so much holiday envy - I really want to go to Positano! Gorgeous photos :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are lovely, Pompeii is definitely somewhere i want to visit. Love the dress by the way it looks lovely :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to visit pompeii! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures. I've always wanted to visit Sorrento, it looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore your maxi dress, did you get it from Miss Selfridge? Love! xx

    Cream Tea And Rose Jam // Pretty Honest Giveaway

    ReplyDelete