Health and happiness - a catch up and goals!

19.10.15

I think it's fair to say that 2015 hasn't been my year (apart from meeting Paul and becoming an Auntie of course). My health has taken a real hit and I have gone from rarely catching a cold to gaining a non existent immune system as a result of being stressed, resulting in being ill ALL the DAMN time!

I mentioned in my last post that I have been ill for a little while now. It all started at the beginning of August when my glands flared up and I had flu-like symptoms which knocked me for six for a couple of weeks. The other symptoms cleared off but my glands were still sore and an overwhelming wave of fatigue washed over me, where I was physically and mentally exhausted by routine things such as getting dressed and cleaning my teeth.

I put it down to stress/being run down but when my glands were still sore in September, and I was battling through some serious fatigue on a daily basis, I thought I had better get checked out. After lots of blood tests and trips back and forth to the doctors and hospital (the first lot of tests went missing, brilliant!) it detected glandular fever

So that explains everything. I've got cooties! And I have never felt so fed up in my life. This will be the 12th week of being poorly every day and doing very little with my time. Having to cancel plans and miss out on doing fun stuff. Not exercising is driving me insane. I have no appetite except for lovely stodgy things like bread and cake. I have been told it could be another 2 to 3 months before I feel back to normal, and quite frankly that makes me want to cry!

The inability to exercise (coupled with relaxing my diet and being loved up) has resulted in me gaining weight and as much as my boyfriend and family tell me I look lovely (and "less gaunt", cheers Mum ;)) I don't feel comfortable in my own skin and I hope, when I'm back to being fighting fit, to doing something about it.

photo borrowed from weheartit.com

It has been a bit of a wake-up call to be honest. All those years ago I loved losing weight and becoming more confident, but in the process I became way too restrictive, counting every calorie, putting my body through really rigorous and exhausting exercise routines, denying myself treats and finding social occasions a complete nightmare. I think I have confused my body and my metabolism, and I definitely set myself unrealistic goals. So here are a few things I'd like to do going forwards to be a happier and healthier Victoria:

- Keep finding ways to relax to be as stress-free as possible and stop giving myself a hard time if I spend a whole evening or weekend doing absolutely nothing. Sitting on the sofa reading or stitching, cuddling Lily and Lola, seeing more of my friends and exploring the outdoors a bit more are just a few ideas.

- Embrace my new varied and non-restrictive diet but don't go overboard. i.e. a whole tub of PB cup Ben & Jerry's once a week is okay, but every day probably isn't.. Find the perfect balance!

- Drink less caffeine and more water. Yes, that old chestnut!

- Exercise regularly, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem. Keep the momentum going and try to make my workouts as varied as possible. Get back into jogging on a morning before work and build up to running 10k without stopping. But listen to my body and know when to give it a rest.

- Stop trying to get back to the weight I was when I was at my slimmest, because it was totally unsustainable and made me miserable.

- Believe it when people say I'm pretty/have a nice figure/am a nice person.

Thanks for reading guys! x

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

9 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you're still so ill! I couldn't imagine feeling that way for 12 weeks already! Feel better!

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there - the blogging community is a great place to stay motivated!! Good luck xoxo
    Natalie
    www.lifesmantelpiece.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly, I had suspected glandular fever once and felt horrendous but I don't think it ever developed fully. Hopefully lots of rest and trying to stay stress free (easier said than done, I know) will make you feel better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling that you had glandular fever when you mentioned how fatigued you were in one of your recent posts. The way you described it brought me back to when I had it. All you can do is rest & listen to your body, accept that this is only temporary and that will make it easier to get through the next few months xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you've been poorly - my now husband had glandular fever shortly after we first met and I know how rotten it can be!

    Your plan to be healthier and happier is excellent. I hope you feel better soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon, Glandular Fever sounds horrible :-( I think you've set yourself some really achievable goals, I too need to drink more water!
    ​​​​
    ​​​​Leanne​ ​x​
    Fancy read? Check out my latest pos​t​ |​​ ​​​​​HOME​: ​Beautiful Blooms.​

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, that's rotten about having glandular fever - my best friend had it a couple of years ago and I remember how exhausted he felt. I hope you feel better soon. If it helps you feel more comfortable and at ease with your body then I guess it's a bit of a strange blessing in disguise! I hope you're feeling happy despite that - I've loved seeing your happy autumn updates on Instagram!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness the blood results just found glandular fever! The reason why I suggested you got a blood test in my last comment in your previous post is because my husband felt very tired for a couple months and couldn't shift a cold and he finally went for a blood test and he was diagnosed with Leukaemia. Thank your lucky stars that you have something treatable. Yes you will feel rotten for a while but you will be cured and life will return to normal before you know it. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You ARE pretty, you DO have a nice figure and even though I've never met you I'm certain you are a lovely person! we need to do more to raise our own self confidence as it comes from within. There's only one you in this world so appreciate yourself and what makes you YOU! Sorry if this sounds slushy!

    ReplyDelete