10 little things that cheer me up / make me happy.

7.11.15

Sometimes life can seem like a bit of a struggle, and the weather at this time of year certainly doesn't help. All grand ideas to "pop out for a jog" go out the window when the ground is covered in wet leaves. It's a health and safety hazard quite frankly! Going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark sucks. Walking two little Pugs in the rain / wind / snow is impossible. All I want to do is crank the heating up, drink tea / hot chocolate and feel sorry for myself.

When I get like this there are a few things that are guaranteed to perk me up. It's just a case of doing them!
 
1) Go outside. Sounds simple really, but when I was stuck at home for several weeks during my recent unwell spell I found that I rarely left the house. I always feel better for popping my trainers on and going on a walk either alone or with a friend/Paul, or taking the dogs for a slow stroll round the block or at one of the local parks. It's also a good excuse to go shopping for new scarves, gloves, coats, hats, etc!

 
2) Facetime my sister and niece. My sister lives on the Isle of Man therefore I don't see her very often, so we keep in touch by Whatsapp and Facetime. She had a baby recently and as I can't do my auntie duties in person I have to coo over her via the power of technology instead. When I feel sad I ask my sister to send me a few photos of Mabel and, like magic, her chubby cheeks instantly cheer me up.
 
3) Watch a feel good film. For me it is usually Pitch Perfect, which I watched 3 times last week. No shame!
 
4) Buy myself a small inexpensive treat. It could be a bar of fancy chocolate that I say I will eat in stages but I inevitably eat all in one go, or a bunch of flowers in the "whoops" section, or a new candle, or a Krispy Kreme doughnut.


5) Cuddle with Lily and Lola. This is usually best coincided with the days following their bath, as they tend to get a bit smelly sometimes. It's so nice having their company now that I live alone and I don't know what I would do without them following me around everywhere like a shadow!

6) Take a super hot, super bubbly bath. Self explanatory!

7) Work on some cross stitching projects. Yep, I am a massive geek and I love a bit of cross stitching, something I have been doing for a few years since my friend Katy taught me how to do it. I'm working on a big project at the moment which I'm chipping away at. It's a good way to relax as the repetitive motions are calming and at the end of it you get an amazing piece of work to frame and give as a gift.


8) Make myself a "toddlers tea", the kind of thing you should have grown out of but let's face it, we all still love. Fish fingers, hash browns and beans is a personal fave!

9) Do something nice for someone. I'm a sucker for leaving nice letters for Paul to find around his house, or buying small gifts for friends that I think they might like. Cheering someone else up always makes me feel happier.

10) Cleaning. I am in no way, shape or form a neat freak or obsessed with cleaning. I've got 2 furry friends with muddy paws running around who have other ideas, and most of the time I would rather be doing something else, but occasionally when I'm home alone and I feel things are getting on top of me I decide to clean the bathroom, or I tidy my bedroom, or I have a sort through old boxes of stuff and bag things up for charity/Ebay/the bin. I am guaranteed to feel calmer after doing this, unless I decide to tackle the whole flat at once and then that's a different story altogether...!

What would be on your list?


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6 comments:

  1. Cuddling with our pets makes me also so happy! Thanks for the wonderful happy post <3
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going for a hike usually does the trick for me! Or on dreary, wet days I love cuddling up in a blanket and watching my favorite childhood movies. Great post :)

    Renee | Lose The Road

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the 'toddlers tea'! So true though- it's the most comforting of meals. Potato smilies always make me happy! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toddlers tea is basically me everyday! haha.
    It's nice to sit back and think about the little things that make us happy. We can all get too focused on work and more stressful events that sometimes its nice to have a little reminder!

    ​​
    Leanne x​
    Fancy read? Check out my latest pos​t​ |​BEAUTY : First impressions of Forever Living Products​​

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you I am very fond of sitting back and doing something creative - such as cross stitch (but my attempts aren't as good as yours look).

    Drawing, completing Sudoku puzzles, watching a childhood film (or a chick-flick) are other ways of how I unwind, as well as writing!

    I also always feel much better after going for a walk, admiring the scenery that I pass by and getting some fresh air.

    Tasmin's Talk
    ox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree that cleaning the flat does help cheer me up - as boring as it is, it's very therapeutic to have a sparkling oven or cleared out closet.

    I'd add watching a comedy (currently watching Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow), getting lost in a good book and going out for tea and cake to my list!

    x

    ReplyDelete