Books I have read in 2017 (5-7).

2.2.17

#5 Living a Life Less Toxic by Faith Canter - 4.5/5 

Faith Canter is a wonderful woman I stumbled across on You Tube who has recovered from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome after suffering for many years following a bout of glandular fever, which as you may know is what has happened to me. I purchased Faith's first book on my Kindle, keen to find out more about her recovery story and what changes I could make to my life to make it less "toxic".

I have watched pretty much all of Faith's videos and I am already fairly strict with my CFS recovery "plan" (daily meditation, positive affirmations, positive mindset, detox baths, dietary changes, getting out in nature, good sleep routine, yada yada yada) so a few of the areas covered in the book were already familiar to me. That being said it was a further reinforcement of why I need to continue with these things, and I was inspired to make further changes to detoxing my mind and body. For example, she talks about swapping chemical products for natural ones complete with "how to" guides and this is something I'm going to do in the future. 

If you're newly diagnosed with CFS/ME and don't know where to start, I highly recommend Faith's book and You Tube videos to set yourself on the right path. Don't spend months waiting for help from the NHS like I did. Get cracking with your own research right now! 

I really like the chapter on EFT (Emotional Freedom Tapping) and I have found some good results from incorporating that into my routine. I wish this book was longer and a little cheaper, hence knocking half a point off from full marks. 

#6 The Road Less Travelled by M. Scott Peck 5/5

This book was recommended to me by my beautiful friend Alix. Boy oh boy, it's a good'un! It has opened my eyes to life and love, patterns I have fallen into with relationships and people, unhealthy habits and why they have formed, and has given me the ability to process why past relationships have failed. I hate to be such a cliche but this book has changed my life! I wish I had read it 10 years ago.


#7 A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness 4/5

From self help to a short fiction book, A Monster Calls was recommended to me by my sister and I read it across the space of a couple of evenings. It's a fantasy novel aimed at children/YA about a boy faced with the imminent death of his mother. It is written by Patrick Ness based on ideas by author Siobhan Dowd who sadly passed away before she could write the story.

It's easy to read and I was absorbed in the story immediately. I felt every emotion the young boy was feeling, and the "monster" provides a number of stories that really resonated with me and can be applied to helping in every day life. I wanted the story to go on longer. I am also really keen to see the film now!

What have you finished reading lately?

2 comments:

  1. Some great reads. I will look out for them. The last one particularly appeals as I've seen the trailers for the film. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of these but I've heard great things about A Monster Calls x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete